Monday, January 21, 2013

Review--Benefit They're Real Mascara

I had heard great things about Benefit They're Real mascara. I like to try pretty much every mascara that I can get my hands on, so I traded with a lovely lady on makeuptalk.com for her deluxe sample of They're Real  that she had received in one of her ipsy bags. My experience with this mascara was very mixed.
Closeup of the brush
Deluxe sample size bottle
Without mascara
One eye with one coat of mascara and one eye without
One coat
One coat, looking nowhere
Hmm, not sure if this was one or two coats, but I like the look of the lashes.
Two coats, looking up
Two coats, looking nowhere
The sun decided to hide right before my last two photos, so I apologize for the graininess. Anyhow, when I first used They're Real, it seemed much too wet when I went to apply it. Then, when it dried, it seemed to make my lashes crunchy. I kept trying different application methods, but I was not liking it.

I stopped using the mascara for a couple weeks, and then I went back to it so that I could do my review. It was no longer too wet. It seems, at least in my experience, that mascara starts to dry out once you've opened it. Now that They're Real wasn't as wet, the application went much better. In fact, I was quite pleased with it...at first. 

I found that it took very little time for my lashes to lose their curl, they still felt crunchy, and pieces of mascara would start to flake off. It happened quite a bit less when I only wore one coat, but I like dramatic mascara, so the one coat wasn't going to do it for me. With this in mind, it is not a product I would purchase. However, I know that it is considered a 'holy grail' product for many women. This is why I love sampling. Mascara is a type of product that is not one size fits all. 

The full size of Benefit They're Real mascara retails for $23.00 on their website: http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/product/view/theyre-real. I know that it's also available at Sephora, and I believe at Ulta.

What is your favorite mascara? Would you pay $23.00 for mascara if it were the best you'd ever tried?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Please avoid promoting your own blog, spam, or inappropriate language. I reserve the right to delete comments which I feel violate these guidelines. You may also contact me at rougerequired@gmail.com if you have a question, would like for me to review your product, or wish for me to look at your blog.