Friday, February 8, 2013

Play Date with Dots

One of my best friend's favorite nail polishes is Essie Play Date (their website shows it as one word, but my polish label shows it as two words). I finally got my own bottle when I had some Extra Bucks for CVS (their version of a rewards program). I find it to be a very unique shade in the purple family. It's like lavender if it were bright instead of soft and pale. Look at her beauty:

Essie Play Date in slightly overcast daylight

Essie describes Play Date as a 'flirtatious light purple'. The formula was smooth and easy. I did three thin coats, but you could get away with two.


I thought that Play Date would look great with some of the Color Club polishes that I bought recently. My dot gradient was inspired by Chalkboard Nails, especially this post: http://www.chalkboardnails.com/2012/10/blue-and-pink-gradient-dots-tutorial.html. (If you haven't already, check out her site; she's an amazing nail artist.)


I used the dotting tools in varying sizes that I bought in a Martha Stewart set from Michael's, the craft supply store.


The darkest purple is OPI Dutch Ya Just Love OPI? The periwinkle and rose dots are both Color Club, from their Spring 2012 Blossoming Collection. I bought these as part of a set at T.J. Maxx ($48 for seven polishes on Color Club's website; $9.99 at T.J. Maxx!). For some reason, they do not label the polishes with their shade names when they come in a set. But I am guessing based on online swatches that the periwinkle is Hydrangea Kiss and the rose is Sweet Pea.


I was very happy with how this turned out, especially for my first time with this style. I topped it off with Butter London Hardwear P.D. Quick Top Coat. (I didn't wait long enough before the top coat, apparently; some of the dots on the opposite hand smeared and it was sad.)

Thanks for looking, and thank you to Sarah from Chalkboard Nails for the inspiration!

*All products mentioned in this post were purchased by me with my own money, and I am not affiliated with or compensated by the brands.*

4 comments:

  1. So gorgeous! You did a great job w/ the dots - super cute. I like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Souly! This was one of my favorite manicures ever.

      Delete
  2. That is SO pretty, I love it!! I need to get myself a dotting too, because the stylus I've been using doesn't cut it XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gabs! Yes, the dotting tools are very helpful. I was using a bobby pin previously. It wasn't bad, but the tools worked much better for me.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! Please avoid promoting your own blog, spam, or inappropriate language. I reserve the right to delete comments which I feel violate these guidelines. You may also contact me at rougerequired@gmail.com if you have a question, would like for me to review your product, or wish for me to look at your blog.