Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Swatches and Review--Essie Under Where?

Argh! I didn't intend to take a break from the blog. No excuses, just life. 
Essie nail polish is how I spend most of my loyalty points (Extra Bucks) at CVS. This lovely polish is called Under Where? and is part of Essie's Resort 2013 collection. 
*I purchased this product with my own money and I am not affiliated with nor compensated by any of the brands or companies mentioned in this post.*


Obviously I'm a fan of the Resort 2013 collection, as this is the third polish from it that I've purchased and blogged about. (See my other two posts, about First Timer and In the Cab-ana.) The only one that I didn't buy is Come Here!, and only because I doubt that it would look good with my skin tone.


Essie's Web site describes Under Where? as a 'wildly flirtatious orchid'. It is very vibrant, as are the other shades in this collection. It was difficult to capture this vibrancy on camera.


This formula seems like a crelly to me, a cross between a creme and a jelly finish. Unfortunately, it was problematic: Streaky, watery, and uneven in application. 


All photos are outdoors in natural light or shade. I'm wearing one coat of Orly Bonder as my base, three coats of Essie Under Where?, and one coat of Poshe quick-dry top coat.


The application mostly evened out by the third coat, but it still needed the smoothing power of the top coat.


Even though Under Where? was terrible for me formula-wise, I will keep it and use it again. I adore the color that much. I will probably try a different base coat next time to see if it works any better. And perhaps the polish will become less watery now that it's had some exposure to air.


Most of the time this polish looks very bright and red-based. However, in the shade and occasionally in other lights, it leans more blue. It just leans, it never becomes anything that is not lilac.


Cleanup was easy, and I did not experience any staining on my skin or nails.


Essie nail polish is pretty widely available and typically retails for $8.00 for a full-size bottle. (For example, they are sold at Target, WalMart, and CVS.) I have seen mini bottles, and I even have some through trades on makeuptalk.com, but I have not seen them for sale in a retail store in my area. 
*I purchased this product with my own money and I am not affiliated with nor compensated by any of the brands or companies mentioned in this post.* 



1 comment:

  1. This is such a pretty color. Sorry to hear about the formula though :(.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please avoid promoting your own blog, spam, or inappropriate language. I reserve the right to delete comments which I feel violate these guidelines. You may also contact me at rougerequired@gmail.com if you have a question, would like for me to review your product, or wish for me to look at your blog.